6th Annual Asset Allocation Australia Summit
The region’s leading event for institutional investors
5 March 2020, Dockside Sydney
9.00 Opening remarks from the chair
9.10 Navigating the economic landscape – key drivers of global recession
- Analysing the drivers that cause uncertainty to the global economy
- Cutting interest rates by central banks
- Navigating geopolitical risks including US-China trade tensions, Brexit and Coronavirus crisis
- How is Australia affected by these drivers?
Brian Parker, Chief Economist, Sunsuper
9.40 Panel discussion: Exploring strategies to achieve return objectives in a low-yield environment
- What does the low interest rate mean across asset classes?
- Discussing the high prices for bonds and equities and its impact on portfolios
- Exploring strategies to achieve desired rates of return in a low return environment
- How does the current market condition impact your decision making?
- Tolerating increased volatility to achieve long-term returns
Ian Patrick, Chief Investment Officer, Sunsuper
Gary Gabriel, Chief Investment Officer, State Super
Ross Etherington, Chief Investment Officer, EISS Super
Katrina King, General Manager, Research and Product Innovation, QIC
Leanne Taylor, Head of Macroeconomic and Markets Research, Cbus
10.20 Exploring opportunities in private debt markets
- What is happening in Australian private debt markets?
- What is behind the growth in private debt?
- How does Australia differ to the rest of the world
Tim Rathbun, Director Illiquid Credit, NAB
Bob Sahota, Chief Investment Officer, Revolution Asset Management
10.50 Morning coffee
11.20 Managing risk to achieve high stable returns in aviation
Christian Schloemann, Managing Director, GOAL
Tim Van den Brande, Senior Director, KGAL Capital
11.50 Panel discussion: Is active management dead?
- Comparing active management versus passive investing
- The negative impact of high fees in active investing
- Using a bottom up strategy to construct your portfolio
- Analysing the role of active management in volatile and downward trending markets
Anthony Michael, Chief Investment Officer, Allianz Insurance
Edward Smith, Chief Investment Officer, TWU Super
Lucy Thomas, Head of Investment Stewardship, NSW Treasury Corporation
13.40 Realising investor value through co-investments
- How do co-investments work and what makes them attractive?
- What is required to be successful in this market?
- Effectively managing risks in co-investments
- Aligning and managing investment liquidity
David Arcauz, Managing Partner, Flexstone Partners
14.05 Panel discussion: Measuring performance and managing member expectations
- Using performance measurement to improve portfolio management
- Undertaking clear communication with members to raise awareness of low expected returns
- Dealing with increased attention of comparing super industry’s performance between peers
- Remaining competitive and looking after the best interests of members
- Measuring long-term performance
Craig Turnbull, Chief Investment Officer, Local Government Super
Dan East, Chief Investment Officer, Future Super
David Stuart, Acting Chief Investment Officer, Tasplan Super
Stephanie Weston, Independent Investment Committee member
14.45 Adding emerging markets growth to your portfolio
- Discussing the potential for growth in emerging markets
- Finding the right emerging markets investment at the right time
- Analysing emerging markets’ own set of risks
- Exploring the differences between listed and unlisted assets in emerging markets
Cindy Ponder-Budd, Investment Manager, Market Strategist, HESTA
15.15 Afternoon tea
15.45 Qsuper’s Investment Philosophy: Using alternative approaches to asset allocation
- Focusing on member outcomes in investment decision making
- Taking a long-term view and achieving CPI plus returns to benefit members
- Investing in long-term bonds and infrastructure to tolerate volatility
- Selecting and monitoring investment managers
Damian Lillicrap, Head of Investment Strategy, Qsuper
16.15 Panel discussion: Building a more defensive portfolio
- Adopting defensive investment strategies to minimise loss of capital
- What are the defensive assets to consider?
- Exploring ways to add targeted defensive exposures to your portfolio
- Exploring the relevant risk protection strategies in the fear of global economic slowdown
- Where are the opportunities given the current market landscape?
Michael Winchester, Head of Investment Strategy, First State Super
Shaun O’Malley, General Manager, Investments, MTAA Super
Mary Fallon, Director Investment Office, Australian National University
Dania Zinurova, Director of Manager Research Australia, Willis Towers Watson
17.00 Closing remarks from the chair
17.10 Drinks reception
18.30 Conclusion of networking drinks